03 February 2011

Winter Weeknight salad

While yesterday's slush spurred me to cook up a hearty dinner of sweet potatoes and baked bluefish (we bought a whole specimen and called him Bernard) covered with bacon and shallots, today seemed like a salad night. The result was a welcome mixture of tart, sweet and rich tastes and textures.

Arugula and pear salad with feta and pumpkin seeds.

The mixture, per plate:
A couple hefty handfuls of arugula or other dark green (spinach, etc..)
Half pear (red Anjou here), quartered and cut into thin slices
1 tbsp pumpkin seeds (pepitas), toasted
1 oz feta

The dressing, for two plates:
1/4 cup kefir or tart plain yogurt
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste

As is generally the case when I cook, I end up using ingredients off the top of my head, and mixing them by sight and taste rather than by strict number. I encourage you to do the same, and to disregard my "recipe" in however many ways you see fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment