28 February 2011

Sautéed vegetables with goat cheese

I was craving goat cheese all week-end, yet between travel and social calls, none of that sweet stuff was to be procured. So it was imperative to me that I work it in to my dinner plans tonight. Now, as content as I am to eat toast with thick layers of soft cheese for just about any meal, I felt I should really feed my partner a more balanced offering. I settled on an quick and hearty combination of vegetables that I could adorn with thick globs of young goat cheese.


Sautéed autumn vegetables with goat cheese
(makes 2 servings as a main)

1 large red onion
1 large sweet potato
1 dozen Brussels sprouts
2 cloves garlic
olive oil, for sautéing
1 tbs balsamic vinegar
1/2 sprig fresh rosemary
3 oz. soft goat cheese
salt and pepper

Halve and cut the onion into thin strips, and begin to cook it in olive oil over medium-high heat in a large, heavy-bottomed pan. After 5 minutes salt the onions and add the vinegar. Reduce to medium heat, cover, and let the onion soften, about 10 more minutes.

Peel the sweet potato and cut it into relatively thin slices. Add them to the frying pan uncovered, adding more olive oil as necessary, as well as salt and pepper.

Meanwhile, cut off the ends and quarter the Brussels sprouts. Put them to boil in a medium sauce pan with salt. Once the water is boiling, blanch them for approximately 5 minutes.

When the sweet potato slices are cooked through, add the Brussels sprouts into the mixture, along with the 2 finely chopped garlic cloves and ripped up rosemary. Let everything cook a few minutes longer, and adjust salt and pepper to taste. Once the vegetables are on their serving plates, add a large dollop of goat cheese on each mound. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Agreed wholeheartedly. The other aspect of goats is that they need to be born in a well-off family, so that their talents can be fully realized through the expenditure of time and money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. megasheilae - I suppose those goat piano lessons aren't going to pay for themselves, after all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy..I love all types of cheese and this recipe sounds wonderful:) Have a lovely day
    Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an interesting twist on the receipe.

    windowshopz.com

    ReplyDelete